As a curator of sumptuous spaces, Julianne Bull is an expert in turning houses into
homes. In her role as Principal Designer at the award-winning, Melbourne-based
interior design firm, The Den Interiors, Julianne has a passion for creating inviting
interiors, where form and function coexist. With her meticulous eye for detail and style,
it is no wonder that her practice is a six-time Best of Houzz Winner for Design and
We sat down with Julianne to discuss the trends of the moment, her current interior inspiration, and her design ethos for her own home.
1. Tell us which design trend of 2022 you’re loving at the moment.
I love seeing the warmer timber tones coming back, such as walnut and even teak. We’ve lived with pale Oak, nordic inspired interiors for a number of years now so it’s nice to see the richer, warmer tones coming through. Paired with beautiful natural stone such as travertine, super textured fabrics and organic curves in furniture pieces makes for a really unique interior.
2. What are three things that are inspiring you right now?
1. Wallpaper is such a fun way to decorate a room. It can completely transform a space or it can be paired back to add a textural layer to a room. The possibilities are endless and I’m always looking for an opportunity to install wallpaper.
2. Custom joinery has really gone to the next level. The materials available to us are extensive and the detailing in the profiles is exciting. Hardware, such as handles and knobs can be made from stone or other natural materials and even lighting can be integrated within. The endless use of colour in joinery also means that we can design one-off unique pieces.
3. I’m always inspired by the people I surround myself with. Colleagues, fellow interior designers and other creatives within the industry fill my cup constantly. We are fortunate to have a lot of local talent in Australia.
3. What are you working on at the moment?
We have some really exciting projects underway with clients who are embracing colour and texture. From full house renovations to bathroom designs, each of these homes are pushing us creatively to think of new ideas and deliver truly unique interiors. Our designs are a direct response to the client’s brief, their lifestyle and the surrounding environment or architecture. We are constantly learning new things and feeling inspired by our work. We are working more and more with local craftspeople and furniture makers, lighting designers and artists. A truly collaborative approach is what we aim for.
4. What’s your favourite space in your home? And why?
My family living area is an open plan format and is my favourite space. I love it for all the activity that goes on; coffee in the mornings, homework and family dinners, a wine with friends. The interior is very relaxed and suits our busy family. I’m a tactile person so I love texture as well as artwork and indoor plants.
5. What influences your personal style and home/lifestyle?
We have busy lives so everything needs to be functional. I’m a self-confessed neat-freak too which means storage is critical so that everything can be put away at the end of the day. We love to entertain friends and family too and so my aim with our interior is for it to feel comfortable and inviting.
6. Why do you love to incorporate timber when designing?
The warmth that timber brings to a space can’t be replicated through other materials. Regardless of the client’s interior style, we will always use timber in either the flooring, joinery or furniture. It's often the backdrop for our interior projects as it’s durable for busy families and will last a very long time if it’s well cared for.
See Julianne’s beautiful spaces below. www.thedeninteriors.com.au